The St. Louis Arena opened in 1929 and was home to the city's many pro hockey, pro basketball, and pro soccer teams. It also hosted college sports, concerts, conventions, and more. From 1977 to 1983, it was known as the Checkerdome as Ralston Purina had taken ownership of the facility and the St. Louis Blues hockey team. The new name was inspired by the company's checkerboard logo. In 1983, businessman Harry Ornest bought both and changed the name of the arena back. The Blues moved to a new arena 1994 and the old arena was closed that summer.