County Stadium was originally developed to replace aging Borchert field which dated to 1888. At the time ground was broken, the city was home to a AA team but hoped to attract a big league club. Indeed, the minor league team would never play there. In 1953, the year the ballpark opened, the city welcomed Boston's relocated NL team. They stayed through the1965 season, after which they moved to Atlanta. In 1970, Seattle's expansion team, which had only lasted a year in the Pacific Northwest, moved to Wisconsin and into County Stadium. From 1953 to 1994, Green Bay's pro football team played a few home games each season there. It closed after the 2000 baseball season and was replaced with a new baseball-only facility.