The Chicago International Amphitheater opened in 1934. It was the home of the Chicago Gears of the National Basketball League from 1944 to 1948, as well as the Chicago Packers of the NBA of the NBA from 1961 to 1962. The Chicago Cougars of the World Hockey Association played there from 1972 to 1975. The Chicago Sting soccer team played a few indoor matches there in 1976 hosting the North American Soccer League's indoor tournament that year. It also hosted several major political conventions. In October 1978, English rock group UFO recorded parts of what would become Strangers in the Night at the International Amphitheatre. The building was torn down in 1999.